Earlier this week, the League made the very difficult, but appropriate, decision to cancel our Annual Convention in its entirety for the first time in thirty-eight years. That decision was made with the health and well-being of all participants; players, parents, coaches, clinicians, exhibitors, guests, as well as League volunteers and staff in mind.
Following that decision on Monday evening, the League continued to monitor directives and information from both government authorities and municipal agencies regarding the escalating COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease) outbreak, now termed pandemic by the World Health Organization (WHO).
As a society, we clearly are in ‘unchartered waters’, and understand that, individually and collectively, we are all seeking direction within circumstances that are fluid as well as changing nearly hourly.
The Board of Directors of the LIJSL met last evening, and with the ongoing primary concern for the health and wellness of our entire membership, please take note of the following, which is effective immediately;
- LIJSL has suspended all League competitions effective immediately
- LI Cup: The LI Cup, which was to begin play March 28/29th, has been regretfully canceled for Spring 2020
- League Play: ONLY League Week 1, scheduled for April 4/5th, is canceled at this time
- LIJSL will continue to monitor directives and information from both government authorities & municipal agencies regarding the COVID-19 (Coronavirus Disease) outbreak
- Our objective is to review, reassess the situation on/about April 15th, with the hope that with improvement, and appropriate clearances from respective authorities and agencies, that we may resume competitions (League Play) with League Week 2, April 25/26th
While it is the responsibility of each member club to determine their individual approach and guidelines during this period, the league has strongly recommended the suspension of all related activities at this time. This would include training sessions (indoors or outdoors), practices, scrimmages, friendlies, in addition to competitions.
Please read and review important statements and regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus), including links and information on preventive actions;
Thank you for your understanding and continued support through these most challenging times.
Long Island Junior Soccer League